Personal Attention And Compassionate Representation

I was hit by an uninsured driver, what can I do?

On Behalf of | Jan 11, 2021 | Car Accidents |

Being involved in a car accident is a stressful experience. Being involved in a car accident with an uninsured driver is even worse. Maybe you are facing hefty auto repair bills or mountains of medical debt and are worried about shouldering the costs all on your own. The good news is that, in Minnesota, you have options for recovering compensation even if the driver who hit you does not have insurance.

First, you should check with your insurance company to see if you have no-fault benefits. If you do, your coverage should pay for things like wage loss and medical bills that are related to your accident. You can generally qualify for up to $20,000 for wage loss benefits per person, including 85% of a victim’s gross income.

Medical benefits are also capped at $20,000 per person. These benefits can be used for a number of related services, such as an ambulance ride and emergency room visit immediately following an accident, as well as ongoing related medical care. Examples of covered services often include:

  • Surgery
  • Physical therapy
  • Injections
  • Chiropractic care
  • Massage

Your life changed the moment the other driver hit your vehicle, and now is the time to seek help. This is because the insurance company is usually more focused on its own bottom line than your well-being. Whether you need help securing coverage after being hit by an uninsured driver or are pursuing compensation via a personal injury suit, you can benefit from working closely with an experienced Minnesota attorney who understands what you are going through.